Please note: The time window for taking action on this post may have already come and gone. Please check our Do Something page for meaningful actions you can take right now, today!
Please add your name and comments to the following petitions:
Then send Donald Trump a message voicing your displeasure. We’ve written a sample message for you to get started, but you are encouraged to use your own words. Be firm but polite.
I am writing to express my disappointment that you would select Myron Ebell to head the EPA, an agency that is meant to protect human health and the environment. Myron Ebell has shown himself to be a friend only of the fossil fuel industry, with no regard to the health of the American people. I urge you to reconsider his selection.
Again, here’s that link to contact Trump.
Why does this matter?
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) exists to protect human health and the environment for future generations, by writing and enforcing regulations. This is how the EPA describes their mission:
- all Americans are protected from significant risks to human health and the environment where they live, learn and work;
- national efforts to reduce environmental risk are based on the best available scientific information;
- federal laws protecting human health and the environment are enforced fairly and effectively;
- environmental protection is an integral consideration in U.S. policies concerning natural resources, human health, economic growth, energy, transportation, agriculture, industry, and international trade, and these factors are similarly considered in establishing environmental policy;
- all parts of society — communities, individuals, businesses, and state, local and tribal governments — have access to accurate information sufficient to effectively participate in managing human health and environmental risks;
- environmental protection contributes to making our communities and ecosystems diverse, sustainable and economically productive; and
- the United States plays a leadership role in working with other nations to protect the global environment.
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, President-elect Trump’s pick for the new head of the EPA is Myron Ebell, is about as antithetical to this mission of protecting human health and the environment as you could possibly get! Mr. Ebell is a proud climate change denier despite not having any scientific experience (although, he’s also argued that if climate change is real, it would “have benefits”). Do you know who’s concerned about climate change other than scientists? The Pentagon: they consider it a major threat to national security. He wants to throw out the Clean Power Plan. He’s worked to reduce protections for endangered species.
Make your voice heard: Myron Ebell is an unacceptable choice for head of the EPA.